Sunday, May 25, 2008

Old Software Versions: Old School (Old Is Cool)

"Because newer does not mean better." -Oldversion.com

The above quote holds true when my latest Winamp player (v. 5.53) crashed frequently everytime I am going to enqueue all of my favorite albums. It was frustrating everytime I am going to sing my favorite part (usually chorus), and the player just stopped and flashing a user-unfriendly critical box(grrr!). So, I have decided to uninstall it and reinstall it, but it happened again (I can't still sing the favorite chorus part).

Just right in time, that I love vintage things, software were no exceptions. I googled right away using the glorified, googily, googilous, Google.com. I exactly typed, winamp old version. Then I came across with this website: http://www.oldversion.com/, voila, the website rolled out those great great grandversions of Winamp, and downloaded it right away. And for the second, voila, it definitely WORKS!

Winamp is not the only software in their archives, they have Limewire (which I also miss the old versions, way back), Firefox, Yahoo Messenger, and many more.

For more information about OldVersion website, visit their about section, through clicking here: http://www.oldversion.com/about.php, they are really corporate citizens with their strong objective which is to prevent adwares in softwares (okay, adwares are those backdoor part of software whose manufacturer used it to get confidential information from its users, bad, bad) and obviously, to help people who were used to old versions, handicapped PCs or just plain obessesive-compulsive on small RAM consumption.

And now, I can finally sing the chorus part.

(This article is reposted in this blog, written in April 27, 2008)

No comments: